The Tennessee Justice Center is seeking two Staff Attorneys to provide individual legal services and to develop and execute legal and policy solutions to advocate for access to quality and affordable health care, nutrition, and access to justice. The individuals who take these positions will have an outsized impact on the lives of low-income Tennessee families and will practice law at the top level of the profession with co-counsel and against adversaries who are among the very best lawyers in the country. At the same time, there will be ample direct client contact and the emotional rewards that accompany those relationships.
These are full-time positions based in our office in Nashville, Tennessee.
Organization Profile: TJC is a nonprofit organization that works for justice and opportunity for all Tennesseans. TJC takes a systemic approach to complex issues, including affordable health care, medical and consumer debt, long term care, nutrition, and access to justice. For more information, visit tnjustice.org.
- Work with the case management team on cases relating to health care access, nutrition access, and access to justice.
- Conduct legal research and analysis focused on key issues affecting Tennesseans’ access to quality and affordable health care, especially issues related to Medicaid (TennCare), long term care, and access to justice.
- Work with TJC leadership and other staff attorneys to develop and conduct impact or class action litigation to remedy problems.
- Develop educational materials (e.g., reports, fact sheets, presentations, policy briefs) for key stakeholders.
- Licensed to practice law in Tennessee or willing to take necessary steps to be licensed.
- Excellent legal research, analytic, and writing skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking. The ability to develop novel legal theories and strategies to address complex problems and keep the big picture in mind.
- Ability to work independently and be organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively build and maintain community relationships.
- We are looking for two attorneys, one early-career (2+ years), and one experienced (5-10+ years).
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Experience with litigation and legislative and administrative advocacy.
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to public interest law and advocacy.
TJC is committed to equity and inclusion. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Tennessee Justice Center offers amazing co-workers, competitive salary and excellent benefits, including paid maternity/paternity leave, retirement plan contribution, and high quality medical, disability, and life insurance coverage.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, your bar number, and a list of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “staff attorney” in the subject line of the email.