MEDICAID REQUIREMENTS IN TENNESSEE
The Tennessee Justice Center stands in opposition to the proposed Medicaid work requirements legislation. The legislation, as it stands, will add $15 million dollars to the fiscal note to implement burdensome administrative processes that will result in fewer Tennesseans receiving healthcare. Furthermore, these policies will have adverse effects on Tennessee’s families with disabled relatives, relative full-time caretakers, domestic abuse survivors, and the working poor. If your organization is interested in signing the press release below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Speaker Harwell and Gov. McNally,
We write on behalf of those we serve to respectfully oppose legislative proposals that would deny TennCare (Medicaid) coverage to people who are unemployed. Such a policy will be costly to taxpayers, require a greatly expanded bureaucracy to administer, and result in unprecedented government intrusion into the lives of hard-working Tennesseans.
Pending proposals are based on misconceptions about TennCare and the Tennesseans it serves. Proponents claim such legislation will create incentives for TennCare beneficiaries to work. They are apparently unaware that most beneficiaries are children or adults with severe disabilities, and that those who are capable of doing so already work. The legislation, therefore, serves no purpose.
ORGANIZATIONS AGAINST WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Catholic Public Policy
- Commission Disability Rights Tennessee
- Family Voices of Tennessee
- Interfaith Dental Clinic
- League of Women Voters of Tennessee
- Matthew Walker Comprehensive Health Center, Inc.
- Mental Health America of Middle Tennessee
- Nashville CARES
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Tennessee
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee
- Tennessee Charitable Care Network
- Tennessee Coalition for Better Aging
- Tennessee Conference on Social Welfare
- Tennessee Disability Coalition
- Tennessee Health Care Campaign
- Tennessee Mental Health Consumers’ Association
- Tennessee Respite Coalition
- Tennessee Voices for Children
- The Arc of Tennessee
- The Family Center YWCA of Nashville and Middle Tennessee