My Child Can’t Get TennCare. Can CoverKids Help?
CoverKids is Tennessee’s State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). It started in 2007. Every state in the United States has SCHIP. The purpose of CoverKids is to get more Tennessee children insured. If your child cannot get TennCare and she does not have other insurance, CoverKids may be an option. To see if your child can get TennCare, call the Department of Human Services free at 1-866-311-4287. If you are pregnant, you may be able to get maternity coverage through CoverKids.
CoverKids is called “comprehensive, affordable” insurance. But CoverKids does not cover as much as TennCare.
CoverKids BENEFITS include:
- Doctor visits
- Hospital and physician services
- Mental health & substance abuse services
- Maternity care
- Physical, speech and occupational therapy
- Dental and vision care
To be ELIGIBLE, your child must be:
- A Tennessee resident, and
- 18 years old or younger, and
- A U.S. citizen or qualified legal alien (a child can get CoverKids even if her parent is not a U.S. citizen), and
- Uninsured for 3 months or more (with a few exceptions), and
- Can’t get TennCare, and
- Meet the income requirements.
To find out more about CoverKids and apply for the program, visit the CoverKids website.